Our first place of worship was a frame cottage on the southwest side of Elizabeth and High Streets here in Ann Arbor, Michigan. As the congregation grew the church purchased a site at 216 Beakes Street and a Church building was erected.
The church at Beakes Street was torn down in 1951 to make way for a completely new building. We moved into the new structure in 1952 and served the congregation until 1980 when we moved to our present site, 850 Red Oak Road.
Over the years our congregation has had eighteen Pastors. Of our last four Pastors, Reverend Charles W. Carpenter served our congregation for 35 years; Pastor Emeritus, Reverend Emmitt L. Green served 34 years; and Pastor Reverend Mark J. Lyons served 11 years. As of 2015, Dr. Steven J. Daniels, Sr. has led our congregation.
Reverend Charles W. Carpenter
Led Second Baptist from 1929 to 1965.
November 22, 1935
Reverend Charles W. Carpenter’s 6th Anniversary
June 18, 1943
Second Baptist’s 78th Anniversary
Reverend Emmett L. Green
Served from 1965 to 1999
June 4, 1965
June 6, 1965
1965 Program Cover
Reverend Mark J. Lyons
Served from 2002 to 2013
Dr. Steven J. Daniels, Sr.
Our current pastor was called to Second Baptist Church of Ann Arbor in April 2015.